New to me Singer 20U 33 sewing machine

 My new (to me) Singer 20U33

I either had a solid case of gear envy or my frustration with my old Singer FashionMate 223 was just too much.  I had been cruising the Craigslist sewing machine postings for a while, biding my time, trying to find the machine which would suit my immediate and future needs.  I came across this Singer 20U 33 a few weeks ago at a good price and went for it.  It shows like new, no wear marks to speak of just a good bit of dust and fuzz.  When the lady I purchased it from ran me through its functions I was a little confused.  It was due to there being little things wrong with what she was showing and telling meand my having just enough knowledge to sense something amiss.  She was able to get the tension right when demoing it,  but the needle was in backwards and she didn't seem to know there was a right or wrong way.  The thread path was wrong too,  little things. Must have made her use of it extremely frustrating, if she used it at all. 

I found a good copy of the manual ( the one on the Singer site is really poor with unusable diagrams) posted by a kind soul. ( http://mostlysewing.lucidway.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Singer20U_Manual.pdf) That explained a good bit.  I still think it is weird that the tension needs to be set so tight to get a good stitch.  I think the tension assembly needs adjustment, I will have to figure out if there is a way.  

How does this fit in with sailing you may ask?  Well, my interest in sewing seemed to resurface when making some sail repairs.  The 20U is not considered a machine for that purpose, but it is considered an excellent all round machine and it will run up to V90 size thread.  I have already been running the V69 thread with no problems, the Fashionmate didn't like that at all.  I am keeping the 223 for its blind stitch and its in perfect condition, just under powered.  The 20U is a different creature entirely.  3/4 horsepower motor, clutch actuation.  If it runs at full speed it is scary intimidating, 2500 stitches per minute.  

So, I am using the Singer 15-91 and the 20U.  Guess I am a Singer man from here out unless I need some thing other that these stitches.  The lady at the fabric store as well as my friend Carolyn both gushed about Sergers and I am beginning to see the point.  It will be a while though.

Below is the bag I made my beautiful wife for mothers day.  A free bag pattern that I modified.  I took my time and tried to make it right, but it could have used more interfacing.  The material already had a kind of interfacing built in, but it wasn't enough.  The strap called for something other than what I did, but it turned out well.  I decided to go with a contrasting thread, red, which taught me a few things about when to back stitch and when not too.  I made the button too.  I had it on a messenger bag that  needs further refinement. Took it off to put on this bag after all the other buttons I had failed to pass muster.  This is from one of our old dog bones (cow bone for dogs).  I used a hole saw to cut it out, then used a palm sander to get it flat.  Next time, I will wear a dust mask or respirator as the dust smelled terrible and I had a tough time getting it out of my nose. 


Comments

glass engraver said…
Keay ,
Loosen the tension on the bobbin slightly and you can run less on the upper.

I regularly use T69 size industrial nylon thread in my 20u33 sewing leather and upholstery fabrics with no problems. This should be good for sails.
Jim

Popular Posts