"Cheap Canoe" in the Coyote Creek


I have been busy rebuilding the bulkhead on the santana 21. This has been a slow process for me as it takes place on weekends and when I have a spare moment.

I have been watching the days go by and thinking about venturing down the creek a ways. It was a beautiful afternoon and it was a little late for "adventure", but what the hell? Of course, the added adventure quotient of navigating unknown territory with only a bike light in the dark kept me interested.

So, I launched from a different spot than previously and it was less ideal in terms of access to the creek, but was closer to home. It also allowed some pictures to be taken from the first bridge I was to go under.

Coyote creek flows very slowly through these San Jose neighborhoods. It is about 30 feet down to the water and the banks are steep. I have never seen so much garbage. I don't think I went more than a 1/2 mile in the hour or so that I was down there, but saw at least 12 soccer balls. I had to make my way through 3 snags where logs were stuck and causing jams. These were always preceded by about 25 yards of leaves and hundreds of bottles, styrofoam cups etc.

The thing is that it is a beautiful place. It is such a tragedy to see it as a garbage dump. I see street folks collecting bottles from recycling everyday. You could easily pull tons of the things out of the creek without even addressing what must be on the bottom, just what is floating.

Along with a couple of large turtles, I got to see opossums, and some duck type things. Next time I'll leave more time and head further down.



Comments

brthomas said…
Its sad to hear that the creek is so junked up where it flows through
the city. Have you ever tried canoeing farther upstream on Coyote Creek or on the Guadalupe River?
SF Bay Area Creeks and Rivers - Guide for Paddleboating.
Keay said…
No, I haven't been further up. Coyote Creek from Helyer Avenue south looks scenic and is reasonably clean, but I've scoped much of it out via bicycle and though some areas look ok, access is suspect.

Guadalupe from downtown San Jose is off limits all the way to the Gold Street bridge. There are signs to this effect. I find it strange as there used to be canoe trips down the Guadalupe at some point in the past.

Popular Posts