End of my Turpitude (or killing my "Nice Canoe")

On this day of August 8th I had a slow day, made that way by events beyond my control. I had wanted to spend the day solo sailing "Isabel", but a civil disturbance comprised of my neighbor and some less than respectful kids put an end to it. Ok, work around the house and then go windsurfing when the wind picks up. This too was less than fruitful as the wind didn't pick up enough for the low volume board I chose to take.

So, my attention shifted to the "Nice Canoe"..... named Turpitude. I had built a "Cheap Canoe" with good success, followed the plans closely and came out with an inexpensive sturdy little pirogue. Turpitude I had built quickly before my mother came into town so we could go, "Down the creek". We had a great day, it made it worth the $60 in luann and automotive epoxy. However, I did short cut many details in the interest of experimentation, haste and cost. I was after function, not beauty. The Luann was too thin and my taping of the seams was less than stellar. I didn't seal the entire boat with a coat of epoxy opting instead to use a decent quality paint I had handy.

After a couple of small voyages Turpitude was set in a corner of the yard, belly up, till its next use. That was a couple of months sitting in the sun and elements. I noticed that some cracks had started and some of the paint had come up a few weeks ago. I thought this would not be a big deal, a little grinding and some touch up paint. Instead , when grinding, I discovered that there was some odd filler in the laminate of the luann when sanding, this was part of the cause for the delaminations and peeling. I had removed the rub rails earlier because the "Elmers Ultimate - High Performance Glue - 100% water proof" wasn't. The bottle did say not to use below the water line, I didn't. Still, all the joints which utilized this glue failed. In hindsight, this is what has lead to the demise of this boat, I could have fixed the failed joints, but what a mess.

Thus it is with some little poetry that I am putting my "Turpitude" to an untimely end. I would have preferred a viking funeral, packing her full of incendiary materials and pushing her out into the bay, but how many regulations would that be breaking? I have opted for the next best thing, a chainsaw. I've never mentioned that I love my chainsaw, it is a pleasure to use. So much so, that it is often hard to stop. I include a video of this for your pleasure.




Comments

Popular Posts