SYC Midwinters 3 (aka a ship off fools and no wind)

1-22-2011 was Mid-Winters #3. The third race in the series and one I had hopes for continuing moving up in the ranks. Alas, it was not to be. Despite promising forecasts, the wind came and went without hardly a pause.

Was a routine trip, 11 miles to RWC motoring and into a southerly wind, more wind than we saw during race time and with the sun straight in my eyes most of the way down. Still, I've had worse times. If I had no where to go and no time I had to be there, I'd have hoisted the sails for a stunning morning sail, brisk too.

The Hawaiian Chieftain & Lady Washington are in Redwood City. As I passed, they were at the dock full of tourists and looking a little small. Nonetheless they are super-cool. Rope rigging, tall and vaguely historical. Late in the day as we drifted during the race, hunting for wind, the sound and concussion of their canon fire during a mock sea battle was a welcome surprise. One hopes they wear ear protection on board during these things. Even though they had sails up, I can't help but wonder if they weren't sneakily running their engine in order to turn for a broadside salvo.

For us, the race went started off well enough, mid field, but with clear air. There had been a 15 minute postponement as we waited for breeze and the start was a little wonky as the committee boat didn't hit the horn at the right time. Hell, 15 minutes previously, most boats were motoring above the start line and being pushed backwards through it when they cut their engines by the current.
Dave K. and Scott E. crewed for me this time and it is my ideal crew. Our spinnaker hoists went off well and we coordinated well. I like sailing with these guys. We spent a good bit of time laughing as we didn't have a lot of stress and the sailing was leisurely to put it mildly. Dave K. was already voicing his jonesing for summer sailing. I can't help thinking about how queasy I'll feel after packing the chute into its bag while beating into wind and waves. In other words, I'm chafing a bit too.

The S22 just doesn't sing in these zephyr winds. She needs a breeze to become truly lively and I can't wait.

At the very end of the race, we had some hope of catching up with a Catalina 36 on the downwind run when the wind adruptly dropped to zilch and and even clocked around to the opposite direction. I hadn't had to abandon a race, this was my first. 3 miles from the finish we were being washed back toward the San Mateo bridge by the now outward bound tide. We had few moments of hope when the race committee engaged in a discussion of the rules on calling the race. The lead boat did manage to cross the line though and there was no chance of our following suit in the time limit.

The boat ahead of us did, nicely, voice some concern over us as they were unsure of our having a motor, and wondered if we might need a tow. Thus I was coerced, once again, to go on the radio and try to keep from busting out laughing while Dave K. did so without reservation and communicate our possession of a motor and a willingness to use it. This all stems from the "Family Guy" skit on saying "over" over and over.

Here is the image of our suddenly backwinded chute. What a mess.

Comments

Popular Posts