Santana 22 YRA Season Closer, racing to Point Bonita and back.


Saturday 9-17-2011

I got to crew on "Byte Size" for this race another of the "fast" boats of the fleet. I've noticed the S22 class has been a light in attendance this season. The same three or four boats out for the races. I don't know if it is an economy, crew or scheduling issue. Whatever the reason its a shame. Since I was crewing all summer, I didn't bother to get a phrf certificate or pay the One Design dues this time around, $200 bucks is a few tanks of gas etc. We'll see about next season, I like racing my own boat, but at this point it is not competitive, I at least want to be in the mix.

So, the skipper was commenting on what a beautiful day it would have been for some buoy racing and it was true. The race to Point Bonita and around the other marks made for a 17 mile race and it was on a flood tide. On the macro level the strategy was self evident. Head northwest from the start off Angel Island and stay in close to shore around the Marin Headlands and the North Tower of the bridge. On a Micro level, there was plenty of guessing as whether we were in eddy's or back currents and some very deep tacks in towards the rocky shore.

The weirdest spot was the transition out into what I'd call the ocean trying to make the mark west of the Point. The currents got very squirrley and the wind was light. This with a slight ocean swell gave me a headache and I made a point to remain focused as I can get sea-sick.

Byte Size had made huge gains by staying out the worst of the current and we had caught the Bahama fleet which had started ten minutes ahead of the S22's. I never did see any of the Alerions after the start.

Once back in the Bay I felt better as the wind picked up and we were running down to the leeward mark with poled out jib and what looked like an ebbing tide (Though the tide table said we should be around slack). Made the turn and headed on the beat back to the start finish.
Byte Size took line honors and though there was only one other S22 out, it was a fast boat and well sailed.


Comments

Popular Posts