Dropping, I mean "DROPPING", the mast

Let's clarify.....I am an idiot. Of course that's being hard on myself, but I thought I had it figured out and under control. Evidence proves that this was not so. Regardless, if you are going to be bold, it is fortunate if you are also lucky.

Today, I was lucky. I will have to fabricate a new chainplate, that's it, about $30 in new steel and some time in the shop.

I am embarrassed though. I had run the spinnaker halyard to an anchor and back to a winch. Had lifted the base of the mast off its plate and tied it to the grab rails, so it wouldn't slide. All to no avail. I got it down a good ways under control and then it just dropped. I figured it would bend for sure, but it didn't. Rigging in the water, halyards and shrouds everywhere. It was a mess, but down and.....unbent.

Impatience was my undoing. I lost my helper and figured I would just prep everything. Then, I was so close and everything looked good, I just went for it and..... failed. But, there was nothing to do for it other that organize and clean. Thankfully, with the mast still straight, I am able to move ahead with the needed maintenance. First item is fixing the depression of the mast step. Also on the list, removal of the deck halyard organizers. They appear to be the source of water leaking around my chainplates. This looks pretty bad. I have poked around at the deck core through the deck penetrations and it is wet. I have left those holes open under clear plastic hoping to have a little solar help drying the core out.

The saga continues of my shoestring sailing venture.

Comments

Popular Posts