Mast is back Up.

Yesterday my brother, nephew and I went up to raise the mast on Dayspring. Went smoothly despite a a moment of hesitation as I had to step p to the cabin top while holding the mast up at arms length. A slip would have likely dumped the entire rig over the side. I had planned on having my brother take over from me, essentially handing the mast up to him and I could then run around and yard on the forestay. He ended up holding the mast base down (though we had tied it so it wouldn't slip) while I walked the thing up. Once up, he pinned the shrouds and the the stay while I kept my shoulder into the mast. Nothing is tensioned as yet and I'll need to get a ladder to adjust one of the spreader tips that seems to have drooped as part of this unstepping process. Regardless, a little closer to sailing my own boat once again.

The photo is after we had moved the boat back into the slip. We had pulled it around to make sure that if anything happened, the mast wouldn't hit another boat if it came down.

Comments

Popular Posts