Bob Whittier Dory Build

Sides and bottom in position but not fixed in place yet.


To say I am in-between boats at the moment isn't really true.  I have the Apple Pie Dinghy I built as well as the Pirogue and a homebuilt kayak.  They aren't the same as the sailboat, but they're... OK.  It has been a couple months now since selling "my" Santana 22 "Dayspring" and life is full and I am no longer so bummed about it.

Still, I have some goals and those include some stupid adventures which are likely ill advised ( the very best kind).  So, I am building a Bob Whittier lapstrake sailing dory.  Granted it is not going to be lapstrake and it will be modified so much that it is hardly fair to call it a Whittier sailing dory.  I wanted something relatively quick, cheap and tough.  I liked most everything about the Whittier Dory, the shape, the rumored ability to row and the possibility of fitting a windsurfing rig to it.

I decided to take the rib measurements and use them to establish the shape, but instead of lapstrake, I am using stitch and glue.  Since I want to use this judiciously on the Bay, it will have to have airtight compartments and the ability to be recovered from a swamping.  I do not intend to be reckless, but one can't be too careful.  In addition to bay use, I also want to be able to take it on some over night trips on rivers.  No big rapids, but capable of doing the drift boat thing.  I expect to have a tarp fitted to cover the bow so it sheds water if needed and I have yet to decide if I will fit a real rudder or just use an oar as specified.

Here is the link to the plans:
http://www.vintageprojects.com/boats/row-dory-plans.html

On the strong back, sides tacked in place.

Sides tacked in place with the bottom trimmed. The gunwales have still to be trimmed.  I think I will wait until I fit the long oak pieces which run from stem to stern ( always wanted to use that phrase for real) which will hold the oar locks.

Since the plans aren't really meant for stitch and glue, I am having to make it up as I go along.  I will locate the mast support, the keel and the rowing benched in the space specified in the plans, but I will likely support them differently.  The sides are good quality 1/4 inch exterior ply and the bottom is half inch.  Instead of scarfing, I am just doing butt joints. Haven't decided whether I will glass the entire bottom or just run tape inside and out.  Next is to borrow a belt sander and round the corners before epoxy and glass tape.

Comments

Popular Posts