Turning a wooden sphere

I begin by stating the obvious, there is a definite difference between a sphere and a spherical object, at least in my mind.  A bowling or pool ball are nearly perfect spheres, the moon or an orange are spherical.  There is something less precise implied by using "spherical".  Don't worry though, this is not a meditation upon the value of Pi or other transcendental numbers.  It is just that in my practice, creating objects for art parts, I have been making wooden spheres from various found wood.  Here are two sphere like objects made from eucalyptus.




This is more an exploration of the tactile nature of wood than anything else.  These objects are pleasing to hold, fit in the hand nicely, I love these things, guess that is as good as any reason to make them.

Comments

Popular Posts