Newly turned: Wood Form


I have been reading the Ellsworth book and took to heart some advise found therein.  Paraphrased, it says something along the lines of turn many objects to learn how wood works, how it behaves. Essentially, that there is no substitute for experience. so get as much of it as you can.  Yes, I have been making some very specific wooden parts of late and they are coming along nicely.  Still, I also have some forms that I am pursuing.

With that in mind, I created the form above.  It is loosely based upon a seed casing I have sitting upon my dresser.  The seed pod is a beautiful and interesting object.


I don't know what kind of tree it has come from, maybe I should contact my botanist artist friend Carol Selter.  Regardless, I took a big chunk of aromatic pine I had brought home to do this rough turning.  I didn't hollow it out as there are a lot of cracks and I don't need it flying apart in order to explore the shape.   

Comments

Popular Posts