Whittier Dory build progressing a bit at a time...

Ribs in..
The dory build is moving along.  Usually I devote a bit of time each weekend to this.  The last couple weekends were a wash as I had other obligations.  So, back at it yesterday.  The shape of the hull is really looking good.  I built up and have temporarily installed the ribs pictured above.  It turns out they are about an inch to high.  This is what happens when you "make it up as you go along" and I am having second thoughts about the ribs anyway.  I think the ideal way to go at this point is to remove the ribs and use them as templates for 3/4 inch exterior ply then glass them in.  

I am torn though, there are some good materials in the ribs as they stand now, they just need to be trimmed a bit then glassed in.  It won't be as pretty as ply though.  

Not counting the keel box I expect another 15 hours in this before it splashes.  I will need to order the oars and oar locks and get it painted, but if I were to leave it as a row boat, it is totally doable.  I just can't help but think how nice it will be to have a sail though.  After a long distance row, to be able to hoist sail is just too seductive.

Comments

Popular Posts