In Progress Mast
The mast ( at least this first version ) is well underway.  I had wanted to use my windsurfing mast, like the instructions suggest, but I am going this route instead.  I pulled out the windsurf rig and set the 5 meter sail, but am just not convinced.  To get the sail in good trim, you really have to be sitting on the ground and in a position where you can really pull on the downhaul ( I usually do this by placing my foot on the base of the mast and yard on the downhaul line.  This bends the mast substantially backwards to be in correct trim.  I just can't see myself rowing out somewhere and then deciding to set sail, no way to do this from within the boat.  Not to mention if the wind pipes up, how to drop sail, having to release the boom, forget it.

So, instead I am opting for something like an Opti sail plan.  Short stubby mast with a yard on top. Easy to drop sail, stow and or reef.  Will also add an integral rudder to the dory to address its tendency to spin.. Have to order the Pintles etc.




Comments

Popular Posts