Silence


I blew around the Quicksilver loop the other day...

Don't know what I was thinking.  I took my field recorder and thought I might, at least, get some decent recordings on the backside of the hill.  I know Friday wasn't technically a holiday, the day after Thanksgiving, I thought that, given the weather and the late hour, I might be able to bag some decent recordings.

Quicksilver, after the rain, is a muddy mess.  This didn't seem to deter anyone trying to work off some of the previous evenings excess.  As I climbed the hill I was struck by the number of active leaf blowers, if not those then the latest cheap version muscle cars in the valley doing their best exhibitionist behavior.  Noise is noise.  Many of my fellow recordivists (what the hell are we called?) are likely more fatalistic then me.  Ambient field recordings, this is the environment take it or go home...

The other side of the hill, maybe a little better, but often punctuated by after market exhausts or airplanes trying to exit the local traffic pattern. It put me in mind of how difficult it is to find truly dark night skies and the issue of creeping light pollution, how many urban people never see stars.

The noise is so pervasive, the night light critically invasive.  Sometimes it doesn't pay to pay attention, just put in the ear buds and put on some Talk Talk or something.....


Comments

Popular Posts