Parts is Parts (Chainplates)

these are the old S21 chainplates (at least they were steel)

These are the new ones that I made (304 stainless instead of 316)


So, some of the drudge stuff.
I've been overhauling many of the systems (if you can call them that) of my Santana 21 "Isabel". This is my second "learning boat" (though they are all learning boats I suspect). My first being a Lido 14 that I purchased for $100. I have learned a lot on the Santana. Things like how to reseal the hull deck joint and how to spec new rigging, etc. I bought this boat with a good outboard and trailer for $2K including a good assortment of sails. I actually now know that I spent too much. Not because I had expensive repairs to do, but because I didn't recognize how much work would it would be to address the repairs that it did need.
Fortunately, things like the keel, have already been rebuilt ( I have inspected the pulley and cable from above.
The chainplates were an immediate item to be replaced and I just wasn't happy with what i could find online. So, made some of my own out of beefier steel (3/16 inch instead of 1/8th) than what seemed like the off the shelf solution. They aren't as polished, though I might polish them further when I remove them for some structural reinforcement of the "bulkheads". I upgraded the rigging to a larger wire thickness and thus the turnbuckles etc. had to be upsized as well.
Other changes thus far, off the top of my head, are:

Making an opening counter so the battery and other stuff can be stored there.
Replacing all the wood on one of the berths (as the old wood had rotted).
Replaced all the standing rigging
Replacing the switches in the fuse box (using standard automotive toggle switches).
Installed a depth sounder
Fixed the scuppers, as they leaked.
and other assorted small tasks like rebedding etc.


It is sailable which was the goal, must sail on the big bay. I'm hoping to do the Potter Yachter Monterey challenge as well as an overnight sail to Angel island this summer. Those would be major goals for my summer.

Comments

Popular Posts