Yes, dumbass, there is a santa.

Yes, an idiot, yes, a poor captain.

(This actually happened before the last posting, but I have been reluctant to post it.)



fetching the Santana 21 up against the pier was all around a bad and stupid event. It was, however, a case study for being stupid. The wind speed was higher than expected and I let myself feel pressured getting away from the dock. Some power boaters decided to park aft of me just as i had backed the trailer into the water. This set the stage for much of what followed. I let myself get rattled, even though I had told myself not to rush things or feel pressured.



Matt, a novice, was with me and the wind was coming down the channel, so basically on the nose to get out to less constrained territory. I had some difficulty getting the main up and I did not put the keel down. Both contributed to poor upwind performance. Then, just to make things worse, i cut it too close to the decrepit part of the pier and proceeded to stall the boat in the tack. As the boat landed in irons, I knew what was to follow would be bad. The wind pushed us back and we fetched up against the pier.




Matt worked to keep the boat held off as i tried to bring the outboard online. After starting it and trying to back us away, i realized the sails held us pinned like a butterfly on the grill of a car. Once we got the sails down, everything sorted out. We were able to get clear of the pier and motored up the channel for a while trying to decide what to do. I was sorely tempted to try and salvage the day and raise the sails again. My reason won out and we turned back to the ramp ( a good decision as one of the spreaders was a mess, but was not visibly so (had to look at it with the mast down).


Later, describing this whole incident to my brother , he said, "There are few situations I've found that can't be made better by dropping the sails".




In climbing there is the hairy edge of determination. Meaning you often push through a difficult spot even though you may be in over your head. It is being bold. Up to a point this is a desirable thing. It is good to know your limits and to be capable of making a judgement call when considering your safety and the safety of your partner. The systems are less complex in climbing though. A rope and some cams etc. and you make certain you are doing your utmost to use them well and correctly. Protect the fall, then push through, knowing the gear will hold if you fail.




Sailing is like that, but i don't know the limits of the gear, the boat or what is the margin for safety. You have to find that edge, that is what experience is. i read and read, trying to glean what i need to watch for, what to do to make sure the equipment is safe. Of course the safest boat in the world won't do you any good if you drive it under a bridge or some other stupidity.




So, no one was really hurt, we were both sore and have yet another story and I endeavor to learn from these mistakes and learn about myself with out having to pay an unfortunate price.


k3

Comments

Popular Posts