9-4-2010 Solo Sailing the Santana 22


Took my chance to get out. I don't even remember why I opted to head out in the afternoon knowing that things always pick up. In hindsight, it might have been more fun to join all the windsurfers that were out. Next time I'll throw the board on the roof, just in case.

At 2pm or so, I arrived at Coyote Point hoping for some fast solo sailing. Unfortunately, the small craft advisory flag was up and I didn't bother to ask what the conditions were, I already knew. I rigged the boat with an old main and the ratty old storm jib. Rigged the jib with a downhaul line as well.

Once the channel markers were cleared the jib went up. This seems to be my current favored way of starting out in wind when soloing. Jib up and set the motor to neutral. The main was reefed already and with all the main sheet fully released, the sail went up reasonably well. Even with the lines lead aft, I still need to be near the mast to raise the main in any wind. I'll rig sail slides on the old main, so the sail won't require feeding into the track.

Reefed and with storm jib, the boat was still over powered. It became clear immediately. In addition to the wind spiking into the low 30's I had an ebb tide, so the ride was immediately soaking. My initial thought was to discretely turn around and run back for cover. My second thought was to drop the jib. This worked out well and still showed gps speeds in the 6 and 7 mph.

The next thing to check was how well the boat pointed under reefed main alone. It did well, I was able to gain back the distance I had blown down while raising the sails. I was also able to bring the traveller back to midships ( had dropped it leeward to reduce pressure on the rig). Other than having water thrown in my face constantly and being completely doused every few waves or so, it was reasonably comfortable to sail.

Windsurfers were zooming around and I watched a couple of larger sailboats coming in , really rocking and rolling, one struggling with its furling jib for sometime.

My perseverance served well. I want the heavy weather and solo experience and there is no substitute for being out. I certainly wasn't thinking about bills or anything other than sailing a boat when in the middle of it. Heavy weather sailors at sea have my deepest respect. I knew that at anytime I could run for harbor or even drop the sails and motor in, though this would have been unpleasant ( I prefer sailing to motoring in rough conditions).

Comments

Popular Posts