Sarcoma Cup

After a 6 week hiatus Team Byte Size was back on the water.  The boat owners, Anna and Thijs had a family emergency that knocked out the last couple of races.  I have an injured ligament/tendon in my right hand I'm nursing. I think we were all back a little "off".

 We spent most of the day just off the pace of the faster boats.  The second of three races looked like we had our game faces back, but we had the jib tack release as the swivel on the snap didn't. When Thijs tried to fix it, the snap released and jib started crawling up the headstay.  It didn't take more than 30- 40 seconds to fix it, but it put us back just enough.

I'm ashamed to say that race I didn't get on video as Anna did some awesome driving at the leeward mark, it was tight in there.

After that, we never recovered.  I had two over-wraps on the starboard winch, which I have never had happen on this boat, the whisker pole kept releasing on Thijs and we had a lot of other races on the course to watch out for.  For awhile we watched, with some amusement, as "Santa Maria" was surrounded by Express 27's on the windward leg.  Anna threaded the needle of a bunch of Open 5.7's as we were running downwind.

Loved the race organizers, they did a great job running the races and providing good, even humorous, radio communication.  I could even tell they were not pleased, when the Etchells race ( not part of Sarcoma Cup) was using the same radio frequency as they were.

Afterward, we headed west to take in a bit of the Americas Cup and made it for the last fleet race.  Anna's radio allowed us to listen to the race commentary.  The AC 45's are unbelievably fast, it was cool to see them in person.  I'd like to see them in heavier air.  When we turned back to TI, I was getting cold, Anna too.  Was a relief to put the wind to our backs.

This morning I woke sore and lethargic and though my fingers are fine, I am sporting a nice bump where the whisker pole gave me a sound thrashing as it passed.  Since, I decided I didn't want to film with the helmet cam, I opted for no helmet, enjoying the wind across my scalp.... I haven't decided yet whether I regret not wearing it...

Comments

Popular Posts