Akai APC 40 Bank Select button repair

I have come to love my Akai APC 40 (mrk 1). Bought it used a while back and never looked back. Cheap robust, built like a tank. I am still using it with Ableton 9 and it just fits the way I make music. I know the newer model is more compact, but this think just works. 

So, I was super bummed when I fired up an old musical project and discovered the Bank Select down button was intermittent. I'd press down and it might move down. I could probably have carried on for a while like this since I don't often perform with this live, but I do use it when recording and would rather have it work than not. Being reasonably handy with electronics, I decided exploratory surgery was called for. Hindsight being 20/20, I now know the screws I need to undo and the ones I don't. The pretty aluminum allen screws on the "wings", they can stay put.Otherwise, pretty much every screw on the underside needs to be undone and the little A/B fader needs to be disconnected and taken out. 

Disconnect the two cables and the main board is next. Long story short, some judicious vacuuming and dousing (flushing) with electronics grade contact cleaner and it is repaired. I am so freakin happy to have not had to hunt down a replacement tactile switch and deal with soldering it in. The dust here in the south end of the bay is very fine and I suspect the ultra fine particles from the Northern California fires got in the switch as well.  I had initially blamed the cat, she gets off the hook... this time at least.

After getting the bottom off

The problematic switch


 

Comments

Popular Posts