August 1st

Yes, yes...I know. Linear time should be acknowledged, but... I just can't seem to find the time to post regularly. Since my last post, school has begun and I have completed a project or two. This particular post is about a day out sailing with Dave out of Redwood City. What is it about sailing with Dave that brings out the wind? Three days out now and two of them were psycho. The last most recent day in the Lido, more sane since the upgrades to the rigging. So the quick and the dirty, here is the unfinished post for August 1st.

August 1st 2008 Friday

Today marked the day where I actually began to develop some faith in "Isabel". As i have mentioned, I have been doing some reworking of her systems. The major items that i have redone: The chainplates (fabricated new ones), resealed the hull deck joint, reinforced the keel trunk and a bunch of small stuff like replacing the standing rigging etc.

Dave was up for going out of Redwood City Harbor with me today. I was a little behind getting the boat ( on its trailer) out of the driveway, which put us about an hour behind by the time all was said and done. This put us in the water by 2pm. The small craft advisory was in place as we motored out the channel. It surprised me that having the wind on the nose would slow us down as much as it did. Even before raising the sails we were getting doused with spray. The wind waves started to get high enough that the outboard would intermittently come out of the water causing it to race. It wasn't to out of control, but wasn't worth the potential damage to the engine to keep up. We raised the sails and headed out across the bay. I hadn't really believed that reefing the main on this particular boat would make that big a difference. Paired with the small jib, the boat handled very well. The wind waves were bigger than anything I had sailed in, high enough that when we were at the bottom of a trough, the peak of the wave was above our heads, so maybe 6 foot waves. Some even breaking a bit. It was too much fun. Just crazy.

I did have to perform a sail change out on the bow. Crouche din the pulpit, going up and down about six feet and not being able to look out across the water. I was on my way to getting a proper dose of seasickness. It backed off aftet i finished, but it was rough going for a while. My boots full of water as they would occasionally plunge into the water. Really kind of irritating. Trying to get from the bow to the mast was an exercise in lunacy. I need to install lifelines or at least what are called jack lines. It'll make things a little more safe and sane.

Comments

Popular Posts