Santana 22 "Dayspring"








On 4-16-2010..



I got up to the Marina by 8 a.m. and was out the channel by 8:30. The tide was as low as I had ever seen it. The cool little tug that is one berth over from me was just tying up, must have been out fishing or drug running, who know's? He gave me a warning to watch for thin water and I made certain to stay deep in the channel.

The appointment was to be up in Berkeley by 1pm. There was actually a little wind out of the south and i went ahead and raised the main to see if it would help me along as I motored north. The distance was approx 26 miles, basically out the marina, take a left and stop 5 hours later.
The incoming tide caused me some concern.

At 5 miles an hour visual perspective changes slowly. The view to my stern recedes at an imperceptible rate, those on my nose may as well be crawling toward me. After awhile it is obvious the sail isn't doing anything, so it is dropped.

The GPS counts down the miles and The Bay Bridge slowly becomes clearer, larger and the motor needs to be cranked to higher power as the incoming tide continues to slow my progress. Getting under the bridge was actually a battle. The tide was not impressive when compared to how it would rip through the Jupiter inlet in FLA. but still, it was a struggle and once clear I discovered the wind had shifted and picked up a lot. I had to put on my foul weather coat underway while navigating the moored barges holding the contsruction parts of the New Bay Bridge. Can't wait to see the suspension part begin to go up. It will be a stunning bridge.


Once I find the end of the old Berkeley Pier ( I very long ruin of concrete pilings) it is a right turn and a long rush into the Berkeley Marine Center. Once there, it was time to wait for the crane guys and so, caught a moments rest in the cockpit...nap time.

Comments

Popular Posts