santana 22 marine head thru hull removal


4-24-10

The keel didn't get attached the other day, the marine center is insane right now. Many boats, being put everywhere. No doubt this has been caused by jobs like mine taking longer than anticipated. I went up on Saturday to spend some time re-bedding the cabin top hardware and installing the new jib tracks. When I saw the hull hadn't been started yet, I decided to remove the marine head and deal with the thru hulls.

I had initially wanted to just make sure the hoses and clamps were in good condition (they weren't) just to make sure I wouldn't sink because of something stupid. So, decided to pull the whole thing. Three bolts set into the fiberglass held the toilet in place. I was able to free and unscrew the nuts. Then cut the rusted hose clamps with the grinder and a cutting blade.

This S22 has a compression post which makes getting into the v-berth area a struggle. There was no way to get the head out no matter which way it was turned. For a brief moment I thought of disassembling it further, then reason and expediency won out and I grabbed the hand sledge and gave it a tap. It burst into pieces that could be removed. The smell wasn't great and I thought this was how old water from the pipes might smell till a small fish fell out. Apparently it had been living inside the large pipe and got trapped in there when the boat came out of the water. I still feel for the little thing. Sitting inside there for the 26 miles up to the marina then getting beached in the pipe, bummer.
I left the pipe stubs to be filled with epoxy and cabosil paste. One the outside I began the process of grinding into the hull enough to allow the laminations of fiberglass materials. Curt, owner of the Ranger 37 next to me, showed me this really cool cloth / matte combo material. This saved me having to work up alternating matte and weave layers, very cool stuff. Did three laminations of that followed by a final layer of weave. I am very pleased.








Hull prep was to begin today though it has been raining as a small storm goes through. Cree told me I can expect to sail it this weekend which is about a week later than I hoped, but am still very excited to have these issues addressed.

The list still has other items on it, like:

Replacing the topping lift line (means I'll have to drop the mast).
Removing the old main halyard winch (it is non-functional)
Getting the running lights operational.
Then fun stuff like installing a stereo and maybe cushions.

Comments

Popular Posts