Coyote Point Beer Cans 6-16-2010

After the snafu of last week and missing the race all together, I was pleased we made it in good time last night. Living far from the marina always leaves me with a sense of unease, a feeling that I might be forgetting something important (like sails or something) even though I have worked to make sure all is ready.

We had a beautiful afternoon, warm with decent wind, a high tide and lovely afternoon light. I had new crew, new in the sense that he had not sailed before, and so this was a perfect introduction. We got out pretty quickly and did a few practice tacks to let BT get the hang of things, pace, language, safety, etc. For the first time we got a good start, passing just behind the "Rabbit" boat and being right off the stern of "Paradigm". There were five sailboats out this evening including mine. These low key events have been ideal for me to get a better handle on racing.

As is typical of these afternoon races I found the S22 over canvased. I've been using the class sails and the gusts into the 20 mph range definitely push the boat over and stress the rig and me out a little. I noted that paying close attention to the main sheet as well as letting the boat 'round up a little allowed us to carry on without reefing. One time my attention must have been elsewhere and looking down I saw water coming over the the leeward coaming. I had a momentary thought about the saltwater flowing into the winch, I greased them not too long ago.

I know that the traveler would be a decent way to handle some of these "puffs", but the stock routing just doesn't make it workable. With two experienced folks in the cockpit it is possible, but still not ideal in higher winds. Part of this is likely do to the lines being stiff with age, but I could see someway of re-rigging this to give better mechanical advantage and better angle for the helmsmen to pull. This is something for down the road. I have been opting to leave the boom in middle and just play the main sheet.

We did not come in last this time through and I was pleased. That said, I still can't figure out how all the crew and skippers of the other boats get into the club house before us. BT and I traipsed in, collected our dinners and squeezed in at the tables. BT's hair appreciates salt water by standing nearly on end and I deeply regret that I did not take a photo for his many friends and fans to moon over.

Comments

Popular Posts