Timex Atlantis Watch

Only peripherally relating to my normal outdoorsy postings. In November of 2009 I was on the hunt for a digital watch that had a countdown timer mode that was lite, durable "waterproof" and not especially expensive. I came up with the Timex Atlantis watch which I bought from Amazon for about $30.

Functionally the watch was perfect. I wanted the countdown function for sailboat racing, but have mainly used it for baking and cooking. It seemed to be perfect.

I have been involved with teaching my daughter to swim so have spent several days in pools of late. Even though the watch had survived previous dunks while canoeing, showering etc., this put it over its limit. Even though the watch is rated for something like 100ft depths, it failed in 8 feet of water. I have to admit I am bummed. My Timex expedition watch is holding up well, it is just a "tank" super heavy and no countdown timer.

So, I have printed out the receipt from Amazon, written an $8 dollar check for return shipping and sent it off to warranty repair/replacement.

I have been a little ambivalent about watches since I began carrying a cell phone, just more stuff to keep track of. However, I find that I like wearing a watch. To be honest, it is just quicker. That said, it would be a major set back to not have my phone ( a Blackberry ) as I religiously put my calendar info in it or have my Yahoo calendar text me when I need to be somewhere.

So, when I get up in the morning and head out for the day, I stuff my pockets with keys, wallet and phone. Adorn myself with a watch and grab my journal and laptop if I see myself needing them. I think it is getting close to "unplug" time, except it is a rarity that I can just sit and do nothing. Maybe I should be more serious about giving meditation a shot...

Comments

Popular Posts