Dory Build Continuing

I am back.... back from a family trip to Argentina, so many things were obviously put on hold.  I have two main projects at the moment other than preparing the labs for the start of the spring semester.  The first is a large home project for my wife, the other is the dory build.

I will get some photos of where I am, but let's just talk it through.  I zip tied the seams and have started putting in the epoxy and cabosil fillets along the internal seams.  The thought was lurking in the deep recesses that maybe a combination of traditional building methods and new "stitch and glue" might not get along harmoniously.  The strong back really helped since I didn't have any templates for determining the actual plywood cuts.  I warped everything and screwed it to the forms.  This worked fine and held the house of cards together in more or less the correct shape.

Gunwales trimmed, ribs removed


At this point I decided to zip tie the whole thing together.  With this done, I released it from the saw horse and flipped it over, so far so good.  I put in some fillets until I grew frustrated with working around the 3 ribs.  I knew taping over the fillets was coming and I didn't want to get all finicky working around the ribs.  I am also using cheap fast drying polyester resin and it can be a pain as it kicks in about 15 minutes.  I decided I could do without the ribs and removed the front and rear first.  The middle one is still in place as I write this to make sure it holds relative hull shape.  I can glass tape now without too much problem.  Once this is done, I can decide if I will do the internal watertight compartments or flip it and do the sanding of the edges before glassing the bottom.

First layer of epoxy for fillets.  Next will also include glass tape.
                                 

Was looking at the plans again to get a better idea of how the keel box was going to be constructed as well as the mast base.  Plans is a relative term here,  drawing might be better as there are no construction details concerning things like the keel box.

Comments

Popular Posts