Redwood vessel and other stuff

The end of the semester is here and that means I get to look forward to a bit of respite from faculty and students alike.  I tell my students and assistants that the semester is exactly the opposite for us ( faculty ) than it is for them.  The start is intense for faculty with preparation, dissemination of information, calendars, etc.  As opposed to the  students who just have to show up ready to take notes and receive all the info.  The tables turn though.  As the end approaches and midterms fade, the faculty just have to look ahead to grading, but students are being tested.  You can see the stress transfer off the instructors and onto the instructed.

So , I have been getting the creative back into my life trying to fit it into the tiny cracks between family time, and work and freelance projects. I have been trying to recall what it is like to be an artist.  I guess you are always an artist, it is how you view the world as much as anything else, but I was once a producing artist before going mercenary when my family obligations became front and center.  I have consulted here and there with other artists and this has kept my head in it, but I seem to have a bit more time now.  I'll be in the hotshop next week working on glass stuff and doing some gaffing.  This is a lot of fun as I have shot glass and the making of glass for years.  Now I get to do it, which is fun, as well as collaborate with others to make cool things.

At home, I have been making parts for various projects, but of late I have been just making forms to keep my skills progressing.  My gear is all on wheels, lathe and bandsaw.  The wood lathe is a little weird when turning a large off center piece of wood.
Lathe with a piece of redwood set up

This is the second time I have ever tried turning a piece of wood with the quick, the pith in it.  I read an account of how some have had success turning greenwood and centering the pith in the piece.   I grabbed a piece of redwood that I have had sitting out on the side for a while.  It was exposed to the rain we have had though and I didn't have it covered.  It was really wet, with water drops forming on my roughing gouge.  It was pretty off center as well and even with the wheels locked, and the lathe turning at the lowest speed, things were rocking and rolling until the thing was round.  On this Rikon lathe, I have noticed the tool rest tends to loosen up with the intense banging of of the tool.  What I mean is that the wood is not round and there is a lot of vibration transmitted from the tool to the rest  and the rest will get loose and have to be tightened down again.  Don't get me wrong, I love this little lathe.  I can roll it in and out of the shop and the belt is totally accessible ( the reason I purchased this lathe instead of a Harbor Freight or some other version of the same thing ).  

So, today I just wanted to make a big hollow form vase out of redwood.  The turning down went fast and I did have the piece tear  itself away from the face plate once because of the softwood.  After reattaching with longer screws things went fine.  Still, I need to speak with an experienced turner soon cause hollowing is just plain frightening.  I have some longer and better tools for that, but the cut just seems wrong.  The tools constantly chatter, dig in, etc.  It just isn't as in control and smooth as I have seen in youtube videos online by experienced turners.  I have to send some emails or post some comments.  Maybe film myself and ask the what I am doing wrong.  

Regardless,  I managed to get it hollowed out by drilling and gouging etc.  Now we'll see if it cracks with time.  It is a nice rough form, if it makes it through dry down, maybe I'll address the surface in a more interesting way.


Comments

Popular Posts