Rikon 70-100 Wood Lathe and Black Acacia vessel continued

I was previously gushing about how fond I am of my little Rikon 70-100 wood lathe.  The thing is pretty cool and I have picked additional tools and accessories to make it better suited for the small parts I was making.  Well, with a lull in the parts I have been trying to grow my skills by turning whatever I can lay my hands on.


I am still working on the chunk of Black Acacia from my previous post.  I was having a rough time of it trying to hollow it out at work on the big lathe.  I think this is because they don't have a lot of hollowing tools and what they do have are dull.  I will make a couple hours of it sharpening up their tools as I am sure that I dulled a couple as well.  Regardless, I called it a day after ripping the piece off the faceplate.

I had some freelance work to do, so that gave the piece a rest for a couple days.  I was back at it though at home.  I was glad to see it fit with even a little room to spare over the tool rest.  I had to mount my own faceplate though and mine has four holes instead of three like the previous one.  I had to round the piece up a bit and I was getting a lot of shaking, even at the lowest speed.  Even after rounding the piece, it continued to go out of round, I was chasing smoke.  It just wouldn't go round.  I sat looking at it all for a bit when I realized the headstock was loose, rocking back and forth on the 4 allen screws which hold it to the rail.  This was new, guess it makes sense  that things might loosen with time, but I am glad I noticed before something sheared off.

After that, headway was made and I got the thing mostly hollowed.  I am going to have to class it a rough hollow though cause this wood just loves to tear up.  A combination of not using the right tool, depth of the piece, my novice level skills and how much water is in the wood still.

Biggest piece to date on the lathe





Comments

Popular Posts