Camphor wood and turning redwood

Went out on a wood run the other day.  I almost always meet some interesting person on these.  There is a tree company that leaves wood out for the taking and there is always someone out there harvesting stuff.  Actually it is really cool of them, I understand they will even load really large logs into your truck with a little forklift if you catch them at the right time of day.  


Regardless, ran into a wood carver who is prepping an enormous block of redwood to make a eagle sculpture.  He was really concerned that if he were to begin the carving of the figure, he needed to get it done and loaded lest it be stolen overnight.  I have no problem believing someone would take a half complete carving, it would be to great a temptation.  So, while we were talking, he pointed out a couple of pieces of Camphor wood here and there.  The smell was incredible, a giant wooden tub of Vick's at my feet.  
Camphor logs with one chunk of Coastal Oak 
Spent some time prepping and sealing, but still have a bunch of work just getting it ready to be stored.  Still, I got some time to do a couple of turning sessions.  One was to finish off a vase made out of Black Acacia.  It was a throw away log, but I wanted to practice, so there you go.  Turned out well enough, that I went ahead and dried it and then remounted it to the lathe for sanding etc.
Black Acacia Vase, cracks and all, about 10 inches tall
One of the odd things about the wood is that the thickness of the wood changes as it dries, not consistently though.  All that beautiful swirling in the wood, it shrinks differently than elsewhere.  This made sanding a pain as some of the new low spots were really deep, maybe 3/16ths of an inch.  I hadn't really left enough meat on the vase that I felt like trying to just shave it down, not to mention the tear out tendency of the wood.  I just opted to finish and call it a learning experience. No it won't hold water, but it is a pretty thing.

As I was chopping some of the Camphor into turning blanks today, I decided to throw a piece of redwood on the lathe.  I am finding redwood to be a great to turn for the sheer fun of it.  It is soft, but seems pretty stable.  Compared to the elm I have been turning,  it is like butter.  I can round out a huge block in minutes.  Hollowing does tear the inside up pretty good, but it shaves down easy enough. A great wood for exploring form without having to battle a harder wood.  I have hit a couple of sap cavities, which results in sticky brown sap flying everywhere,  but did  I mention how easy it is to turn?



Oh, and here is my sanding regalia.  Gotta watch that dust!




Comments

Popular Posts