A real live drummer...




I managed to get a couple sessions in with my musician friend over the break.  He's a "real" musician, has played in many bands, toured and is even working on his grad degree at this point.  Once even more interesting is that we share a lot of the same history of place and though we obviously crossed paths, never met. We know many of the same people, same places, I am working on the words for exactly how it feels.

Regardless, I came to music by learning to control artworks via MIDI using MAX ( Pre MSP).  I would build sound sculptures and devices which would "play" clouds as they passed.  So, music has never been easy for me.  At some point I decided that if I was going to learn an instrument I'd better get started, that was 30 years ago and I should be so much better than I am now.

Still, I can hold my own and am a passible guitar player (having had to let go of piano for a while).

Thus I jam with buddies and make my own music, but I've only recently gotten to wonder if I could perform some of my pieces live.  Much of it would be loop based, this I am tolerably good at.  But percussion, that is something else.  The notion of a drummer being content to give up time keeping, play to a "click", seems boring for them.  That's my take.

Learning....learning is good....

Comments

Popular Posts