Going Dancing....

Dancing to Architecture

Jan 7th 2020

I really enjoyed listening to everyones compositions at the Jan 7 Laptop Production Meetup. I am really impressed at the production value of the work. As I listened to everyones projects, I was thinking about how people need, want, desire to share their respective artwork and make a connection, any connection with like minded individuals. As a life long visual and sound artist, this is something I think about often. The desire for connection, community. At a more basic level, I think about ART. Why we make it, what we hope to accomplish, what kind of connection we hope to forge through the creative act.

I think about music... What I am struck by, is the vernacular. It makes sense, these are the sounds of our language, we use them in specific ways, thus everything sounds akin. Not the same, just similar. It feels related.

It makes me wonder at what it would sound like to compose music for AI to listen to. What would that be like. What would represent release from the unrelenting structure of logic and computation for a thinking machine. What about aliens? A species or life form born and bred in methane fluid....

So, of course our music and art follow a pattern, a bell curve, recognized as main stream (pop) out to the fringes John Cage, to folk, to historical, classical, Chinese or eastern or western. Not to mention what our fingers can do easily. I mean it is easy to to do a I, IV, V progression on guitar or keys.

I guess the point of this is how far afield can one push till something is no longer "music" and is instead cacophony (nothing i heard was cacophony).

I wondered, who were the musicians that inspired the various artists at our meetup. How do they fit historically into the spectrum of music making. That can quickly devolve into a "who are you listening to discussion".

For me (right now) that is:

Chelou
Jose Gonzalez
Radio Head
Junip
The ORB
Thomas Newman
Amiina
ATW

I don't have any answers. No one will be able to tell me categorically that we, as a species, make art because "Blank". There are a myriad of reasons. But it is worth thinking about, break, chorus, verse and why.

Here is a link back to my previous post about music as language, more weird thoughts....


Comments

Popular Posts