SDrum TRS MIDI Pedal Switch

Another kinda geeky post.  I am still working on this guitar pedal setup and have been excited about it,  since I discovered the Digitech Jamman enabled pedals using jamsync are actually transmitting midi clock.


This shows most of the pedal setup, there is a multi effects unit to the right out of shot.  I am using the M5 mainly for midi enabled effects like delays and tremolos.  The only thing lacking was a switch to allow me to "cut out" the SDrum. Sometimes,  I just don't want a drum track and having the looper pedals tied to it can be annoying.  There isn't a commercially available 3.5mm TRS footswitch available, so had to build one.


This pedal is mainly a router.  I am using the lower female TRS as the input and the top as an output.  On the back side of the pedal is another output.  In normal config, it routes the midi signal from the SDrum to the first loop pedal.  When the switch is pressed, it disconnects the looper from the SDrum and routes the signal to the back output which I use to send the midiclock to a laptop.

That makes the loopers work like most other loopers, they start recording immediately when the pedal is depressed.  It is nice that the Jamman Express flashes lights when it loses midiclock so it notifies me where the signal is going.  The Solo XT still sends sync to the next looper, so they stay in sync.  I don't know for sure about the M5, but I think it should still be receiving sync as well.

Now I just need to find some right angle 3.5mm TRS cables.....

I like this little camphor block for the pedal, but will likely print one or maybe laser cut one, once the Covid Crisis subsides.

Current Looping pedal layout



Comments

Popular Posts