"Bean Bag" Chair

Xmas has come and gone and along with it the flurry of activity the holidays bring.  One of the gifts I made this year was a large "Bean Bag" chair out of discount corduroy upholstery and some reclaimed foam from a gymnastics center.  I looked online at the usual polystyrene beads, but saw there was no recycle path.  I had to look at other options.  There was a a 12 cupid foot bag of shredded foam from one of our local foam stores for $47.  I thought this was a good option, still do, but the reclaimed foam fell into my lap.


This left me mulling over how best to reduce these blocks to a size more appropriate for the chair.  I didn't want to screw around too long so opted to cut the large cubes down with a box cutter.  I am still considering the idea of cleaning out a lawn mower, turn it upside down, attach a bottomless garbage can and just toss the blocks in.  I am saving that "Unsafe and insane" option for later.  I know a childs use for a bean bag chair is really more as a landing pad.  This was quickly bourn out as the kids would see how high they could jump from the bunk bed onto the thing.

The design was simple.  Basically a big duffel bag pattern without straps.  So, two large disks and a rectangle joined with a zipper.  Super simple, just the volume of material was a little much.  Easy enough.

Here is the finished version.



It is winter in the Bay Area and the winds are flukey.  I am in the process of working through a coupe of interior projects on my S22, I'll post when I have something worthwhile.

Comments

John Potter said…
Your blog is really helps for my search and i really like it.. Thanks a lot..

Fatboy Bean Bag Chairs

Popular Posts