Boom Retrofit

Thought I'd push up a post regarding my Santana 22 outhaul refit. It came with a 3:1 inside the boom.  This worked alright with the attached foot main.  I say "alright" because when you would try to loosen the outhaul and deepen the draft of the sail, it was less than responsive.  The jam cleat would catch or the sail would require encouragement to slide in the slot on the boom.  It was a mild pain.  I was given a loose foot main and my next new sail will be a loose footed main, so I decided one of this winters projects would be to upgrade the purchase of the outhaul.

My current attempt, which I am not entirely pleased with, has me adding another 3:1 outside the boom. I figured that since I would have to make a turn at the mast anyway to bring the outhaul back the cockpit, why put everything inside the boom.  Harken has some great diagrams on various systems, I decided to make up my own.

There is a steel cable which comes out of the boom end and attaches to the clew of the sail.  The interior part was extremely rusted.  No doubt salt water gets inside the boom and the cable end would set in it.  I clipped it and put a new crimp fitting and eyelet on it.  That done, I ran new line throughout.


This is the old system minus the block after the jam cleat.  

Removal of the mast end of the boom.  Two pop rivets to drill out.




Fishing the line through the boom with pvc pipe.

Enlarged exit hole for the outhaul line.

This is the 3 to 1 system from in the boom with new line.

The new exterior part of the system.

Now that i have had it apart, I feel comfortable to go back in and change the system so the isn't so much line outside the boom.

Comments

Popular Posts