Rotten Berths

Masked up

I am in the process of replacing my quarter berth bases.  I am doing this now in the slip as I want to get as much out of the way prior to hauling the boat as possible.  That will leave me with the two main priorities, a bottom job and fixing the rudder play.
During demolition, used a sawzall
In the midst of grinding the old fiberglass tape to expose glass through the untold layers of disgusting bilge paint,  I vowed to never purchase a boat with such a cruddy interior again.  I am thinking I will  not repaint the areas I have sanded down since they will be covered by the cabin sole.  Once I get the new bases in, I'll glass, tape and paint the exposed wood and new glass.  Some more paint will be targeted to areas needing it on the berth tops and near the mast jack.

Dirty stinking disgusting job made necessary because some idiot let water accumulate in the boat. The original mahogany plywood had completely separated and was leaving a constant layer of small debris in the bottom of the boat that I just can't stand.   I remain steadfast in my desire to leave a better boat than the one I found, but still I wonder about stripping the gear I have invested and junking this thing.  My monetary investment remains relatively small, mainly time.  Guess that is just the way of it, totally going to sail the crap out of this thing.

After sweeping up, note ground tape where new bases will go.

Comments

Ciaran said…
Hmm, those are all fiberglass in my tuna
Keay said…
Really? Do you know your approximate hull number by chance? I think every Tuna I've been on up till now has had wood in one form or another.

Popular Posts